When I was in college, my first year roommate had the book 14,000 Things to be Happy About. We delighted ourselves hour after hour with reading the random accounting of pleasures in Barbara Ann Kipfer's life. We began to grab some of our favorites and post them on our door; floormates would watch for the weekly installment. Eventually our fascination moved to journaling in our own "happy books." My writing journal in that same period is an accounting of a confusing time--feeling out of place at the college, distressed about some home life events, wishing for that "special someone" who alludes most everyone at the time they are seeking it, and wondering ad nauseum what my purpose is in life. (For those of you who are interested, this particular quest continues!) In contrast, my "happy book" is filled with moments of simple pleasures, and I suppose tuning my eye to a night when the stars were particularly bright, or a suitemate laughed with gusto, or a particular piece of music moved something inside of me, somehow created balance in that disorienting period of time.
My life right now is no less disorienting....new place, new faces around me, but many of the same questions. I am definitely needing to refocus my eye on those momentary glimpses of joy. Though I haven't the stamina or time for 14,000, why don't I aim for 14:
1. the dragon fly lightset that brightens our garden window at night
2. a steaming hot cup of coffee (about to make one now!)
3. how the pleasure of a clean home always convinces me that a few minutes of simple effort can buy me hours--even days!-- of satisfaction
4. the robin's egg blue of the sky on this exceptionally sunny February day
5. working on homemade Valentine's Day cards with Kyra
6. a relatively sleep-filled night as Lucas exits one of his bad phases and seems to be more himself
7. days like yesterday when day care provides lunch--pure bliss to not have that extra night before task!
8. hearing my own voice over the monitor in Kyra's room--she listens as she sleeps to a CD I recorded for a family Christmas present....my biggest fan!
9. the feeling of warmth I get inside when I see my incredible partner walking from a distance at the campus we share--his form and his gait still draw something out of me every time
10. the many wonderful years I will celebrate bring married to this exceptional partner come July
11. Carr's whole wheat crackers--a cookie that I can call a cracker!
12. playing my guitar, and having the blisters/callouses to prove it
13. our bird feeder
14. writing this blog!
What would you put on your list? What is making you happy today?